Friday, November 23, 2007

Don't See the Movie!

Okay, now I have your attention and I know you are curious. By now, most of you have heard about or received emails urging you not to see The Golden Compass. I don't know about you but when I was a kid if I was told not to see something it made it all the more appealing to me and I would find a way to see it. Don't worry, I am not telling you not to see the movie or read the series of books it is based on rather I am asking you get to know more about the movie and the author, Phillip Pullman.
The children's story is a dark tale of science fiction and fantasy in which the ultimate goal is to destroy God. Sounds like something I think my young kids would have a hard time understanding but that is who the movie is geared for and if you have the seen the commercials they have done a good job of reaching those kids.
Do I agree with the books, the author and the movies, no. But what I am looking forward to is some great conversations with friends who don't have a strong belief in God. Use this movie as a discussion point with your older kids and friends. Ask yourself and others what would life be like if God wasn't present anymore?

No comments: