Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Have They Learned?!

Okay, it comes time for the end of your curriculum unit and you are ready to evaluate what your kids have learned. How do you go about that task without giving the kids a pop quiz? Nobody wants to be the teacher remembered for pop quizzes!

For the past two units we have made it a game day for the kids. We have taken questions from the curriculum series and used them to create a Jeopardy game on power point. Well, we played Jeopardy this past Sunday and I was excited to see how much the kids had learned. I was confident that they would remember Bible verses, key points and wow us with their knowledge. My confidence soon began to fail after the first service and by the fourth I was deflated. I was so sure that they were going to fly through the questions with out any hints at all and even with the hints it was sometimes painful. Oh sure, we had a few kids each service that knew most of the answers but I was still feeling low.

About that time God stepped in and gave me a smack for feeling sorry for myself. We had some extra time after the game during fourth service so we did a song with the kids. As the music started for Hallelujah, I looked out at the group of kids and couldn't help but smile as I saw them with smiles on their faces, voices raised and doing the motion. It didn't matter to them that they didn't do so great at Jeopardy. What mattered to them was that they where there with people and friends who care about them. Sometimes it takes a moment like that to remember it is not always about the lesson but about the connections they make with small group leaders and friends.

No comments: